In January of 1948 the Boys Club of Palm Springs became incorporated as a nonprofit, charitable organization formed to serve the guidance and character building needs of the boys of Palm Springs area. At first there was an occasional hike or softball game, then as the program began to attract more members the Board of Directors sought out to find a building to build a clubhouse.
At this time, the U.S. Government made a surplus barracks building in Palm Springs available for a nominal charge to the club. This building served as the home of the Boys Club through the spring of 1957 when it became apparent that a larger, modern and more permanent facility was needed. With the cost of a suitable location beyond the financial reach of the Board, the City of Palm Springs offered a one acre site with a 25 year land lease to the club for a nominal fee of $1.00 per year. Later, Desi Arnaz, staged a fundraising party at his hotel with such celebrities as Lucille Ball, Dean Martin, and Walter Winchell. Over $18,000 was raised to build the current Pathfinders Childrens Center Clubhouse at 450 S. Sunrise Way, which was dedicated on December 14, 1958.
A swimming pool was added in 1962 with the help of the Palm Springs Pathfinders, and a gymnasium was added in 1965. Enhancements made in the 1980s include a pool enclosure and the addition of a computer education program.
Today the Boys & Girls Club of Palm Springs serves over 800 boys and girls annually, providing a wide range of after school, summer and winter programs in a safe and supervised environment. With the completion of the Teen Center, the Club is well positioned to meet the needs of an ever-growing number of Coachella Valley youths. The state-of-the-art building provides additional space and resources to serve older youth who today are faced with more serious and difficult challenges.
To visit the Club online: http://www.bgcps.org or find them on Facebook: https://facebook.com/BoysandGirlsClubofPalmSprings